Thursday, April 5, 2012

DIY: Glitter Cap-Toe Ballet Flats

I used to live in my black ballet flats, but after I wore my favorite pair out, the next pair I got wasn't very comfortable, and I only wore them when I had to. I recently came across some old rainbow glitter, and knew right away that it was exactly what I needed to give my flats a new look.

Skirt- Talula c/o Aritzia; Bangles- Nordstrom BP; Bag- Thrifted; Shoes- DIY

My shoes had an extra piece of material on the heel as embellishment, so I glittered that part to make it look even, but I recommend avoiding that if possible. Gravity is not your friend in that case.

Here's the how-to!

1. Mix equal parts Modpodge and glitter in a plastic container. I used a small Tupperware that was missing a lid, but yogurt, sour cream, etc. containers work just as well. 

2. Apply painters tape to the shoe at the point where you want the glitter to end.

3. Using a paint or foam brush, apply the Modpodge/glitter to the shoe. Let dry, and repeat until shoe is covered.

After two coats have dried
Right after third coat was applied
4. Covering the rest of the shoe with plastic, seal the glittered part with a clear varnish.

Tip: Use finer glitter. Mine was big and chunky, and made the texture more bumpy than I anticipated.


These are sure to turn heads, and I love that they can be as formal or casual as desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment