Monday, April 23, 2012

DIY: Navajo Patterned Messenger Bag

I haul my computer, books, and various notebooks with me just about everywhere I go, and sick of digging through my tote the other day to find the right notebook, I decided it was time to pull out my old messenger bag. Before I started taking it with me, though, it needed some jazzing up.

Before: So boring.

After: A fun, Navajo-inspired print.
Front
I wasn't able to find a good pattern online, so I sketched a design onto the canvas with chalk used in sewing to mark fabric, and filled it in with white, yellow, brick red, and turquoise fabric paint. I used Martha Stewart Crafts multi-surface satin acrylic craft paint, and I am pleased with the quality. A bonus: It says it works on wood, glass, and metal as well, so I'll have to try it on some different surfaces! This was such a fun project, because I love painting. 

Back
It took me a few hours over the course of three days. It isn't perfect, but I think it looks great despite the mistakes!

1 comment:

  1. Howdy there!!

    I loved this design so I used it on a pencil case DIY I made~~ thanks for the inspiration ^^

    http://stars-in-jars.blogspot.kr/2012/10/diy-navajo-patterned-pencil-case.html

    ReplyDelete