Monday, June 4, 2012

Chevron Headband/Jewelry Holder

I have long hair. And that long hair always manages to wind up in my face. I dislike this, so I go through hairbands like crazy. Sick of not being able to find a hairband when I needed to, I decided, no more! Thus this hair/headband holder was created. And no longer able to hold out against the chevron craze, I couldn't resist fancying it up with these classy Vs. Sorry if you are so over it.



I got my wood blocks from the lumber section of the hardware store. They were scraps sitting next to the table saw just waiting to be chucked. I asked the cute guy operating the table saw if I could have them. He said yes, the rest is history.

Materials:
Wood board
Paintbrush/ Foam brush
Acrylic paint OR Spray paint
Painters tape
Pencil & Eraser
Cardboard
Ruler
Hammer & Nails

1. Make a template for your chevrons. This seems super easy, but as I learned, it won't look so great unless you make sure all the dimensions are aligned.

2. Draw a line down the center. When stenciling on the chevrons, make sure the tip of the V lines up with the center line, or else the Vs will be uneven and off center.

3. Pencil your stencil onto your plywood. Mark VERY lightly. You will probably want to erase at some point, and soft wood is easily indented. OPTIONAL: Use painters tape to make clean, even lines for the sections you will be painting. I freehanded it, but this is probably a good idea.

4. Tape the sides unless you want to paint all the way around them.

5. Paint. Let dry and repeat.

6. Decide where you want your nails to go. Hammer them in. I painted mine. This is easier to do before hammering, but if you have a steady hand, you can do it easily once they are hammered in.
 
Add a monogram for extra flair
Alternately, drawer knobs can be used instead of nails for a fancier look, but I needed a longer bar to stick my headbands and hair ties on. I am sure I will be making many more of these.


Obviously, I love this project. The one in the center I made for myself, and the other two are gifts.


No comments:

Post a Comment