Saturday, May 12, 2012

Vintage Earrings Refashion- Two in One!

I am lucky enough to be in possession of a veritable treasure trove of costume jewelry passed on to me from my grandmother and great grandmother. The venerable ladies had quite a collection of clip-on earrings, which I loved when I was younger and my ears were unpierced.
The Original
Pawing through the boxes that hold all the costume jewelry, I found one of my favorite pairs of clip-ons. One of the earrings were broken, though, at the point where two pieces were fused together, so it was nothing that a simple jump ring could fix.

The earrings are quite cute, so I decided to convert them into something a little more modern, and that could be worn in my pierced ears. 

Materials
Pliers
Cutters
Earring hooks
Earring posts
Super glue
1. Separate the pearl drop at the bottom by breaking the metal loop that held it. Attach to an earring hook.
2. Cut the charm off the earring back that it was fused to. I had to call in the big guns, and use some huge pliers with cutters on them. My mini starter-kit clippers were no match for these.

3. Put a dab of super glue on the earring post, and press it on to the back of the charm. Hold it there for a minute or two to let the glue set. Let dry for at least an hour before wearing.




I have gotten so many compliments on the studs already, and I love being able to tell people that, actually, I made it!

xo
H

No comments:

Post a Comment